Monday 21 January 2008

Livin' On A Prayer

It's Monday now, and I'm supposed to fly this Friday. I had a call from the Embassy on Saturday - I nearly fell off my chair to find a government related business actually open and advertising it on a Saturday, but anyway - and spoke to a woman by the name of Teresa, who said there was one form missing from my application. She said I could pop in whenever it was convenient (but obviously the earlier the better) and fill it out without making an appointment or bundu-bashing my way through any other lines of red tape.

So I did that this morning, and she confirmed that everything is now correct and good to go - we are just waiting on Home Affairs in SA to confirm I am who I say I am, and once they do, my certificate will be issued. She seemed quite confident that I will have it before Friday, provided HA doesn't make one of their legendary fuck-ups and accuse me of being an identity thief or worse.

As for my plans once I get to the other side; things are a little more complicated than they were last week. I am now going to have to apply through the official emergency channels, which means I will have to stay in SA for 3 weeks as opposed to 2, assuming they accept my case as an emergency. If they don't, I will be stuck there for 6 weeks. Shoes' cousin's contact for a passport in 2 weeks fell through. I therefore have to factor the cost of a flight change into my plans as well as a week's extra leave, which means I will be unable to go to my cousin's wedding at the end of this year.

I guess at the end of the day, this was never going to happen without cost, both financial and otherwise.

To be honest, even though I'm a bit panicky about our skyrocketing debt and am already regretting not seeing my first cousin get married, I want to go home so much that everything else seems trivial in comparison.

Finally though, it seems like I will probably be flying on Friday, rather than possibly with a healthy dose of longing. I'm not breaking out the champagne just yet - I'm going to wait until I have that Golden Ticket (aka Emergency Travel Certificate) in my hand, and then down a whole bottle! 4 days of anticipation to go, 4 nights of restless sleep and disturbing dreams. 3 weeks of putting myself back together at the end? I hope so.

2 comments:

Sweets said...

good! i don't think anything will go wrong, but holding thumbs just in case!!!

Elise said...

'I can't wait until Friday! Fingers crossed it will all be ok. I'll congratulate you properly on Friday xx