Tuesday 2 September 2008

The Games People Play

Mass e-mail today:

{In response to a message explaining the prizes for our company lotto, including a trip to Sandy Lane - an exclusive resort in Barbados}

From: Interactive Account Manager
Sent: 02 September 2008 15:44
To: Commercial Department
Subject: RE: Commercial Lotto Prize Draw

WOW!

Sandy Lane is soooooooo exclusive, they have Jesus as a waiter!!


From: Planning Manager
Sent: 02 September 2008 15:47
To: Interactive Account Manager; Commercial Department
Subject: RE: Commercial Lotto Prize Draw

Good to see you've got Windows live messenger open at work, Interactive Account Manager. Part of the 'interactive' role is it?

From: Interactive Account Manager
Sent: 02 September 2008 15:44
To: Planning Manager; Commercial Department
Subject: RE: Commercial Lotto Prize Draw

Of course - instant messaging with clients is the way forward!

Try it.....

Can you say BUSTED?!?!?!?

Today is for reminscing about Barcelona, but I don't really have very much to say. I enjoyed the city, but I've been to cities both more magnificent and more exciting. To be fair, on our 2 day hop on-hop off bus tour we were hopping off a lot more than we were hopping on, courtesy of the food poisoning, so that might have something to do with it. I wasn't feeling great at the time, and we were also all exhausted from the trance party. AllI I really wanted was to get to the beaches in Mallorca and laze around soaking up the sunshine.

That said, I do like Barcelona. The people are exceedingly friendly, the food is good and there is plenty to see, even if it reminds me more of Cape Town than a typical European city. It has a great feel to it - a modern, very self-sufficient city with strange architecture and sculptures (Spanish architect Gaudi seems to be responsible for building prettty much the whole city in his unique style, which pays homage to the elements of nature) and the people have an obvious sense of a pride in their culture and achievements. I particularly enjoyed seeing the site of the Olympic stadium and pool hall of the 1992 Barcelona Games.

We visited the beachfront as well, which I had been told was rather shite, but it actually turned out to be decent for a man-made beach. We stopped off at one of the beach bars for cocktails, and I had what is probably the best pina colada I have ever tasted, so that alone made the trip worthwhile!

I think overall I will never be gushingly enthusiastic about cities, because I am a beach girl through and through. I visit cities because they're nice in small doses, and there's always points of interest that are worth seeing. But I will take a beach holiday over a selection of the most amazing cities in the world any day. Sightseeing simply can't compare to acres of soft white sand, sparkling blue oceans and panoramic views across an island. Tomorrow I'll tell you about my favourite part of our trip.

3 comments:

Jam said...

What company is this that gives company prizes of holidays to Barbados.... any positions open????

Lopz said...

Ha ha, there might be in a couple of weeks, so all you have to do is jump on a plane to London and I'll hook you up!

AngelConradie said...

oh wow... i am jealous!