Monday 15 September 2008

I Have Nothing

I'm bored. BORED. B.O.R.E.D. Even the spelling of the word bored is boring. I have been bored now for one week and counting. I'm starting to wonder if extreme boredom could lead to a life-changing epiphany, or if it will merely drain me, slowly but surely, of all enthusiasm and lust for life.

The reason for my extreme boredom is the departure of my boss 2 Fridays ago, which I've neglected to write about as I was too busy crapping on about Mallorca, which now seems like it happened in another lifetime.

As I mentioned ages ago in a previous post which I can no longer find, my company is in the middle of a takeover. Not a merge, but a buy-out by a smaller but wealthier company that is trying to take over the world. Oops, I mean the radio industry. Except you'd think it was the world, the way they're approaching it. My boss, having decided to leave the ruthless new regime for greener pastures, has left me stranded and directionless, like a boat without a rudder, only with all day internet access. And thank god for that, otherwise I might be in much worse shape. It is only the endless stream of gymnastics news and youtube videos that keeps me sane these days.

The only reason I have not been pink-slipped and sent packing is because we are in the beginning stages of the restructure, and right now no-one is being let go until they've decided exactly what positions will be available to us. Over the course of the next few weeks, we are all expected to interview for our jobs, at least 60% of which will be contested by the employees from our competition. Sorry, new employer. After that, the firing of our asses will be begin in earnest.

So I am effectively being given a free pass... a few weeks of being paid for nothing while they decide whether or not I have what it takes for their new super power company. It sounds great on paper, but in practice it is like Chinese water torture (aside: why Chinese? And why do we call that awesome but really silly game, where you stop at a traffic light and all jump out the car and swap places, Chinese Fire Drill? Did the Chinese really invent these things, or are we being racist? You see what is happening to my brain.)

I have imbibed so much gossip and celeb news that I feel sick to my stomach when another picture of Britney at the VMAs flashes across my screen. I can't read anymore 'adult news' as my brain is unused to this amount of seriousness, and is in rebellion. I am tired of googling random things. I can't listen to anymore new music online - it clashes with the radio playing on my desk. I can't muster up the desire to do anything except watch reruns of old gymnastic meets, which is difficult as my screen faces, like, the whole world, and watching videos at work is piss taking of the highest degree. In short, I am considering developing a tropical disease halfway through this week, so I can at least be bored out of my mind at home, where I don't have to minimise browser windows every 10 seconds.

Any suggestions on how to combat the boredom would be welcomed.

6 comments:

MidniteGem said...

This -http://www.triplux.com/dayzero/ -
was a great time waster for me...plus it can kinda look very much like work if you have it going on in a word document.
But the thing is that it is a time waster that is actually motivational!! Well that is what I found.
I'm sure you've noticed my list on my blog already.

the other time wasting thing i love is www.scrapblog.com - lots of creative fun.

hope that helps for a little while.

Sweets said...

oh no!... yes develop a horrible sounding disease and stay home... keel over at once and start foaming at the mouth...

who knew being bored could be so boring :)~

Janine / Being Brazen said...

If you like fashion - do play on polyvore.com (it can be a great time waster)

Catch up with friends on facebook.

Blog alot more...lol.. :)

Lopz said...

@Gem - thanks hun, sounds great..just working on pulling myself up out of the lazy rut to do any of it.

@sweets - I'm too scared they'd take me to a hospital and have me examined.... Health and Safety take no chances here. But maybe I could have a mild fainting spell.


@brazen - thanks, I'll give it a try! And yes, I am also trying to be a disciplined blogger...can't look at facebook anymore, it's seriously annoying me!

Unknown said...

Are you still bored? What did you find to combat it? Read other peoples boring blogs....ha ha.

Lopz said...

@kitty cat - in a surprising turn of events, my boyfriend got paid today - a week early. Some screw up with the bank apparently. So I am now passing many enjoyable hours shopping online. How great is it to have an understanding boyfriend who loves me!