Thursday 26 June 2008

Bare Necessities

I worked at Oval yesterday, and wow, what a match! It came down to the very last ball, and the kiwis had to score 2 runs to win, no wickets in hand. Gillespie, who had missed the last 2 balls he faced, swung, missed and ran anyway.... and an overthrow gave them the time they needed to make the last run and take the game from the shocked Poms. The tension was incredible! Everyone thought that England would win, and I was one of the few people cheering for the Black Caps as they claimed victory. I don't know why, but I feel I should support the Southern Hemisphere teams over England, even though I live here!

The gig itself was great. I was hostessing up in the boxes, and there was very little to do other than stand around smiling and looking pretty, and checking that the guests were all happy. Basically, I got paid £150 to watch a cricket match. No complaints there.

Afterwards, I was on my way to drop off my uniform when I ran into 5 of my colleagues. They were pretty wasted from an all-dayer, and insisted I join them for a drink at the pub. As I had called in sick, I had to first make them promise that they'd never seen me, but luckily the guys are all my work friends and they thought the whole thing was brilliant. We ended up at the dodgiest of Vauxhall strip pubs, the Queen Anne. I've walked passed it before and had a good laugh; I never imagined I'd be going inside for a night! Turned out to be quite fun, in a 'so seedy it's laughable' kind of way. The strippers are not professionals; they are just girls who have auditioned (and I use the term loosely - I think some of these girls just took off their tops and got the gig, that's how bad they were) and who pop in for a couple of quick-buck dances every night. They walk around with a little tin before they dance and if you're watching - and by watching I mean standing anywhere inside where you might catch a glimpse of the stage - you have to pay 50p. The guys were quite rowdy by this stage, and kept asking for their 50p back if the girl was crap - which was often! All in all it was good fun, and I left at a decent hour and only a couple of drinks down, so this morning I had no problems getting up.

Tonight I'm off to Def Leppard, which I'm super excited about, and tomorrow it's Wimbledon, so I'm not sure if I'll get another chance to update before Monday. If not, have a great weekend!

7 comments:

MidniteGem said...

LOL - a good and proper ound in a pint glass establishment!! well at 50P the name doesnt really fit. Classic !

The Divine Miss M said...

Dude those places are DODGE!!

Come to a real strip club with Gem and I ;) Jailbait has never been to one so I promised we'd take him! hahaha

MidniteGem said...

ohhhh....YAY...Strip club, strip club, strip club !

I have 2 comps to secrets from the bf floating around my room ....

Miss Caught Up said...

LOL ew.. dodgy strip clubs! Although, they have a slight charm to them in a weird kind of way. :)

Hehehe. It would be kind of fun to do a silly audition for a strip club. Just to say that you've done it. lol

The Divine Miss M said...

STRIP CLUB STRIP CLUB STRIP CLUB!! hahahhahahaha

ExMi said...

just wanted to say HI and I'm back!
Have missed reading you....:)

Lopz said...

@the strip club crew - ok, name the day!

@thrills - me to girl! will swong by later x