Wednesday 10 December 2008

Ready, Set, SUNSHINE!!

Aaaarrrrgggggggghhhhhh! Ok, I feel better. I just needed to get that out of my system. You see, Shoes and I booked the first of our two trips to Cape Town last night. As much as I have made peace with the idea of going home twice in one year and giving up our *choke* trip to Thailand (it's still hard to say that), I always feel a bit sick after booking flights to Cape Town. Think about it - we just literally spent one month's salary on getting to and from SA. And we'll be doing it again come December.

Why, you ask? Bloody good question, I've asked myself this a lot. Because we're good friends and we value our friendships above *choke* trips to Thailand. No, really. If I sound strained it's only because I have a tic in my fingers.

We're returning to our beloved shores to witness the joining in holy matrimony of my best friend and her boyfriend of 10 years (April), and Shoes' sister and her boyfriend of 18 months (December). All I can say is, ladies if you're reading this, I forbid you to ever get divorced after our monumental sacrifice (Thailand *choke cough choke*) to witness your vows!!!

No, I'm only kidding - I'm really looking forward to being there for both Schmokkle and BlackVelvet's special days. There are 3 weddings that we always said we'd come home for - those two and that of my sister, Mini-Me. Mini-Me has been threatened under pain of electric shock torture to abstain from getting married for at least another 3 years, so we can be sure we'll be in the country at the time.

So while we'll be forgoing the beaches of Phuket... and the insanely cheap shopping of Bangkok..... and the 5 star resort hotels where we can live like kings *sob*....oops, tangent. Sorry. While we'll be forgoing all those things, we'll be spending more time with our families and friends in 6 months than we have in the last three years combined. And no matter what we have to give up, that is something too precious to be valued. It's easy to go for a good length of time away from home and think you're doing alright, but then you go back and realise just how damn much you miss everyone, and how getting that fix of home is the only thing keeping you strong enough to live so far away.

Everybody wins, really. Except the Thai tourism industry. But just wait, people of Thailand, we'll be gracing your islands in 2010 and I promise to shop you all out of house and home. Honestly. Don't test me - I am more than capable.

3 comments:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

You are giving up Thailand for a really good reason ;) Im sure it ll be worth it

po said...

I freaking love Thailand, but it will be there waiting for you when you are ready.

My bf's parents just moved there so hopefully i will be visiting again soon.

AngelConradie said...

so where exactly are you going to be, and are we going to get to see you at all?