Monday 15 June 2009

Dissed and Dismissed!

I got picked up, chewed up and spat straight back out again at a party on Saturday, and it was such a great dis I thought I'd share it with you.
The scene: Beer garden at a Wandsworth pub
The players: Me and Random English Dude
The set-up: I'm talking to a group of friends when Random English Dude comes sauntering along, stops, gives me the once over and proceeds to deliver the following gem.
RED: Hey! How you doing? So, are you Brazlian or Puerto Rican?
Me: *thoroughly flattered* No actually, I'm South African.
RED: *the predatory glint in his eye turning to one of mild distaste, such as when you step in dog shit* Oh. Oh well, that's too bad. I mean, don't get me wrong, you're beautiful, but I don't like South Africans. They just don't do it for me. It's just their personalities, you know? But no offense, hey. Enjoy the party.
And off he walked. It was far too funny to be annoying, but wow! I have never been dissed on the basis of my passport before.

6 comments:

po said...

Hmm, methinks he is looking for a Latino because of the cliche of their wild passion, but er yes, not so sure about his personality!

AngelConradie said...

Wow... I thought people liked Saffas!

Unknown said...

heh, I also don't like South African personalities, and before any1 jumps, I have lived my whole life in SA so I can judge. When I go overseas I am happy to not have S-Africans around. Obviously there are exceptions duh but this English guy and I are talking in general.

Unknown said...

heh, I also don't like South African personalities, and before any1 jumps, I have lived my whole life in SA so I can judge. When I go overseas I am happy to not have S-Africans around. Obviously there are exceptions duh but this English guy and I are talking in general.

Lopz said...

@The - are you a saffa? And don't you think it's just too broad a generalisation to make? South Africans don't all have the same personalities, plus English speaking saffas are very different from Afrikaans, who are very different from Zulu, etc etc. Tell us what it is you don't like and who you're targeting, I'm sure we'd all be interested to know!

Unknown said...

lol I'm half south african, i know it's a broad generalisation, so I said I'm talking in general.

I've always gotten on better with non-white south africans than the white ones, so I guess I don't like the english speaking white S-African common personality type...if that makes sense. I had a good afrikaans white friend, and all my school friends were black and indian, just have never clicked with the whites here, some of them are cool though but the more "nerdy" type. only an asshole makes generalisations, oops looks like I'm guilty lol. but it is true for me, white europeans are awesome but the ones here errrr we dont clicky clicky.