Tuesday 16 June 2009

Grease Is The Word

My retinas are stinging and my brain is boggling. I have just picked up yesterday's copy of The Metro, a free London newspaper, and I have come across an article that both intrigues and disturbs me.

For those of you who know Piers Morgan, observe (I would insert the pic, but restrictions on my work pc don't let me post pics):

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/imageBank/p/piers-morgan1.jpg

For those who don't, he is a judge on X Factor and America's Got Talent, and former editor of The Daily Mirror (trashy tabloid) until he was fired for publishing fake photographs of Iraqi prisoners being abused. As you do.

Overall a rather leery character, like your second uncle twice removed who stares at you in an inappropriate fashion at your annual family gathering.

Anyway, it's not even the David Beckham style strip-off that Monssieur Morgan has copied that really has me baffled (although his nudity is definitely baffling enough for a pint's worth debate down at the pub). It's the product he's advertising. Take another look. This picture is supposed to represent the sensual appeal of Burger King's brand new fragrance, Flame, which is being touted as "the scent of seduction, with a hint of flame-broiled meat".

But, of course. Because what do ladies go for in a man if not the seductive aroma of a greasy processed burger? I myself have always wished for a hunk of meaty-smelling love to waft past me, ready for me to sink my incisors into his medium-rare flesh. I see two possible outcomes:

a) The obvious one, which is that BK only sells enough fragrances to supply college kids with olfactory jokes to play on their drunken, passed-out mates

b) We all give in to the raging cannibals inside us and start tearing chunks off each other in Superdrug queues

I'd be quite happy with b) if it was Beckham selling the sex. After all, what's a bit of roast beef sweat when you have abs like a hopscotch court? Observe:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_02/BECKHAM101207_468x342.jpg

Suddenly the fragrance becomes inconsequential, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Dirk Lemon said...

Hello, thanks for giving Piers Morgan and Burger King flame a shout out! For anyone wanting even more Piers, we've posted a video up here:

http://vimeo.com/5127161

Spear The Almighty said...

I'm not a Piers Morgan fan. At all. He did a very one sided documentary on Dubai, which makes great sensation, but he really didn't ask the hard questions.

AngelConradie said...

Seriously? Burger King has a fragrance... and they're using an ugly naked dude to sell it?