Tuesday 24 July 2007

Curtain Call

Apparently Tuesday is the new Monday. I say this because, the week only seems to start on Tuesday. There are of course those who drag their Monday morning blues into the office after a now much-missed weekend, but the majority of people just don't show up on a Monday mornings! I don't know if it's just my organisation, or perhaps something to do with the public sector (less money therefore less motivation?), but my office is decidedly empty on Monday mornings. I can arrive at 9:15am (I start at 9) and still feel like the first person here. By Monday afternoon, there is a definite increase in bodies, and Tuesday morning it's like the whole world got going again after its pit-stop, and, fortified by biltong and Wimpy coffee (if it stopped at the Shell One-Stop anyway), it gets its teeth into the rest of the week.

I have just come back from spending a rather extended lunch break in Covent Garden. It was extended to make time for stops at Starbucks and then Origins after dropping off our papers at the Schengen Office for our Portguese visas. Starbucks, just because I like it, and Origins, because they were handing out free samples!

Now would probably be a good time to tell you about my latest pastime. I have recently discovered a forum which posts links to freebies. The members of the forum, who, bless their souls, obviously have WAY too much time on their cheap-skate hands, spend hours trawling the internet for good deals and then posting them for the rest of us leeches. The freebies range from the fabulous (free movie tickets) to the truly bizarre (free grass samples). I have only been browsing the forum for about a week, but already I have received one sample of Organics Shower Gel in the post and today I followed a hot tip to Origins, an all natural skincare shop, where they were giving away samples of their top 10 products - 5 per person. I now have 5 of the most delightfully tiny tubes of various creams and gels. The attraction to this forum is simple - there is no-one in the world who doesn't like to get things for free. No matter how random - chocolate samples, which consist of literally one block; or useless - curtain samples, say no more - everybody loves a freebie. My personal faves are the beauty products, and not for the reason you think. I am an independent woman - I buy whatever beauty products I want whenever I want them. What I love about the samples is the fact that they are so mini! One of my favourite parts about travelling is that I get to go to Boots or Superdrug and stock up on 6 or 7 mini bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, face cream and even suntan lotion. Don't even ask why I don't just keep the bottles and re-fill them - the thrill is buying these tiny new products, all fresh and cute and so adorable looking in my toiletry bag. Re-filling just does not have the same effect.

My plan is to collect enough samples of skincare and cosmetic products so that I can just take them along on our trips, thereby not spending "unecessary" money (I think it's necessary but no-one else believes me) on miniatures. So far I have applied for the following samples: Free Lacoste 'Touch of Pink' Sample fragrance for women ; Elizabeth Arden Mediterranean Free Sample ; Free Full Size Rimmel Wear Maxx Nail Polish (worth £4.49) ; Free Nivea Lip Care Sample ; Sally Hansen 5 Minute Manicure Pack ; Free Sample of JoopGo ; Free Vera Wang Princess Fragrance Sample ; free original source shower products; Free sample of Davidoff Cool Water Wave ; Free sample of Marc Jacobs perfume and Free Teddy Bear.

I have also ordered 60 free photo prints from Photobox, scored 50 free Nectar points (a shopper's savings card, similar to Clicks Club card for those of you in SA), sent away for my free personalised luggage tags (your choice of photo included), requested a free 4 pack of Coors beer and registered for free tickets to live audience TV shows, such as X Factor and the Brit Awards (these are wait-listed though, so registering doesn't mean you automatically get tickets).

This means that on any ordinary day, I could just be going about my business as usual and come home to find a surprise package waiting for me. Don't tell me this wouldn't brighten your day!

Of course, as with anything online these days, I have come across some seriously strange people on this forum. One of crazier deals was the free unlimited curtain samples. This is the deal: In order to request a free sample, simply look just below the product in question and locate the Free Sample button, clicking this will add the sample to your cart and allow you to continue shopping/browsing. If you wish to select a few samples across the shop please do so. There is no limit to the number of samples you can request.
The following is a genuine conversation in response to the post - you can look it up on the forum link:

little jaffa: Stunned and amazed, i ordered 42 samples yesterday and they arrived today, quite small about 8cmx17cm but great for my uses. (erm, and those would be?)

zerbirus: yeah, mine came today, all 12 very quick delivery too, going to order some more now ah there we go, 45 more (what for???)

zerbirus: Do 50 orders of the same material and you might be able to sew them all together and make a curtain (because that makes so much more sense than just buying a curtain)

littlejaffa: noo!! think patchwork cushions/quilts/beadspreads....much nicer hmmm i might even get a g-string out one of the bigger bits (I rest my case)

Amanda1959: New girl here, hello everyone. I ordered some samples (45). The company rang me to make sure i wanted them all, as it seemed a lot to ask for, they thought that they may have a problem with their web site. (are you surprised????)

Iom-RF: Welcome to the forum Amanda. Did the company say they were still going to send them out?

Amanda1959: Oh yes they are still going to send them. Told them that i could not make my mind up which ones i like best, hence me asking for 45 samples..................they must think i live in some 10 bedroomed mansion...................... (or they think you're just a cheap-skate bitch with a curtain fetish)

zerbirus: My 45 came today, no phone calls because I gave a fake phone number (note the pro here people)

anastasia: Thanks for posting this. I'v just ordered sample of all of their materials (128!) I hope they send them. I need some new curtains, and haven't a clue as to what sort of thing I like, so the samples will be very useful. And when I've finished with them I'll be able to use them to make some hammocks for my ratties. (your what???)

smokedog: I hope people ordering these sample have a reason. Hate to think people are ordering loads just for fun. As they are only quite a small company trying to make a living. (finally, someone with some sense)

Iom-RF: Yeah, But in fairness the company should restrict the samples to say 10 per person etc. If they can't afford to send out 40+ samples, they shouldn't. (........)

5 comments:

phillygirl said...

That sounds fabulous - I am jealous :) The closest thing we get to that here in SA is Gumtree. Here's a gem I found: Rocks wanted

;)

Lopz said...

Hahahahaha, never say that saffas are unorginal!

Zerbirus said...

im glad my curtain samples amuse someone :D

and yes I am a pro, take a look at my free sample collection post on hotukdeals.com although I havent updatd that in months

Lopz said...

That made my day, it was hilarious, if a little bewildering! Please let me know if you have any other strange samples I can post about.

Zerbirus said...

Try WOWFreeGifts

http://www.wowfreegifts.com/?referer=85290

If you want more freebies, such as crisps, consoles, football stuff, vouchers etc

Its worldwide and I received my first item yesterday (multipack of doritos)

See you on the forums! over 850 posts and still going strong!