Wednesday 26 September 2007

She Works Hard for the Money

I have an interesting update on my work situation. L recently got promoted to Planning Manager, as I posted previously, and her former PA position is now open for a permanent candidate. They have a temp in at the moment, and they will start interviewing for her post possibly next week. At the same, they have decided to make my post permanent. Once again I was offered the job, and not only that, but sort of begged to stay - what can I say, I am just the most charming PA to walk through these doors. Mostly my team like me because I am unable to keep my mouth shut. When I am not entertaining them with my sparkling conversations with S or engaging in witty verbal sparring with Grumpy Pants, the oldest and most sour person in my team (although he's only pretending to be, he's a giant softie underneath and he truly loves my lack of diplomacy), I am talking fashion with the girls or dirty with the guys - how could they not love me? Anyway, despite all this obvious adoration, they're still kicking me out on my ass.

I should make another mention here that they have all repeatedly rallied for me stay and take this role permanently, and I have repeatedly refused, so the kicking out on ass thing isn't at all as nasty as it may sound. I won't commit, and they want me to, so we're at a stalemate. I've been through my reasons for not going permanent here before, so I won't bore you with them again. Besides, talking about why I am not going to make a career at the LDA puts me to sleep, and then as I nod over my keyboard people could come up behind me and read this irreverent post and perhaps kick me out quicker than otherwise intended.

What I will say is that I have experienced a sudden streak of motivation to find a new job, powered by the fear of floundering in London unemployed. I am seeing a couple more agencies (covens) this week, although by George I do hate them. Their snobby attitude, their goal of many candidates, superfast turnover; it's not conducive to finding your perfect job, it only helps if you're desperate and willing to take the first thing they throw at you, which is of course what they are counting on. Nevertheless, I will enter the lairs of evil again and try to burn my image into their retinas so as to leave an impression lasting more than say, oh, 30 seconds. I've considered dressing up in an unusual costume, or being really loud and/or overenergetic, but am afraid either of these tactics might get security sicced on me. Or worse, Agency Blacklisting. Not that there is such a thing, but can you imagine? Like Credit Blacklisting, only worse, cos not only are you not able to get a job through an agency, you would also end up with Credit Blacklisting automatically due to your lack of funds and subsequent inability to pay your rent/credit card bill/Sky TV account. Nightmare.

I never hold out much hope for these visits, possibly because I am so vehemently negative about tham in the first place, but don't challenge me unless you've been through it - it would try the patience of Mother Theresa.

No comments: