Tuesday 13 November 2007

Spending My Time

I've been pondering for a while now this whole blogging communuity business. Don't worry, this is hardly going to be a philosophical dissection of the minds of bloggers as I see them.... I'm not usually given to posts like that.

I just wander where everyone finds the time!!!! I love logging onto my pc in the morning at work, surfing the blogs I regularly read and seeing what everyone has been doing / thinking / feeling. However, when I make a concerted effort to read all my favourite blogs, comment on each one and then sign up to receive follow-up comments so I can continue the conversation, I find that half my work day disappears alarmingly quickly and I am scrambling to get things done later in the afternoon.

Let me state here that I am a multi-tasking expert: I am a team PA and I used to be a production co-ordinator, and the only way to truly impress in these jobs is to co-ordinate diaries / shoot schedules with one hand, whilst holding a phone to each ear with the other and typing with your foot - oh, and making a round of coffee for clients with sheer willpower.

But when it comes to my cyber-friends in the blog world, I am easily distracted from the task at hand by the post that So-and-so has just written about his/her crazy housemate / day at work / sexual experience and the barrage of criticisms, opinions and affirmations that flow from far and wide as everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. I love it, I really do.... I have my own special group of anonymous "friends" that none of my real friends know. They do, however, take up a lot of my time, which I suppose is par for the course if we're talking friends on any level here, even anonymous ones.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Blogging is as fabulous as it is time consuming, n'est-ce pas?

4 comments:

Sweets said...

very true...i only started blogging a few months ago and now i firstly don't want to do anything else, and secondly my work is definitely suffering... it's the strangest thing~blogging! i try to manage my day but like you said, before you know it half the day is gone~pffffffft disappeared...!

The Divine Miss M said...

Totally - but I try not to let it affect my work. It is one of the first things that I check in the morning but really try and not obsessive over it.

I do love getting comments though and engaging with them. Damn it is addictive. Grr.

*need to conquer the blogging world*

Hey Lopz, we need to get together and then we can be "real" friends anda not just blogging friends ;)

Lopz said...

Heh heh, I know - I can get quite obsessive about comments! Then I try to remember why I started this blog in the first place, and that's so my friends and family back home can hear me prattling on as if I'm right there with them, and they can keep up to date with what's happening in my life over here.

Miss M, definitely. Love my blogging friends, but the real deal is always the most satisfying. If for some reason next weekend doesn't work out, damnit we're going for drinks in the week!

Mr R Rabbit said...

I know what you mean, blogging seems to just be able to eat my spare time, even when I have far too much of it as I seem to these days.