Tuesday 22 July 2008

The Cool Factor

I feel human again after a caner of a weekend - what other kind is there really? Lately I have been I feeling an overwhelming urge to party like mad in the next 18 months before the dreaded 3-0 - as if life is suddenly going to stop altogether when I reach that poisonous number. I am fully conscious of how irrational this is. I am also determined to be cool (not hip - you know you've lost the cool factor when you start using the word hip) WAY beyond the age of 30, but there's a small part of me that doubts if I'll still be able to pull it off.

I want to be that aunt that all the kiddies love - the one who spoils with abandon, wears gucci shades and stillettos by the pool and whose clothes all the teenagers want.The one who buys cleavage tops / inappropriate jewellery for the girls when mommy isn't looking and gives the boys dating advice. I was BORN to be a cool aunt! Actually, I was born to be a celebrity, but since that's not working out so well for me, the cool aunt is not too terrible a substitute.

One major problem with my familial career goal - I only have one niece, and technically she's not even mine. She is Shoes' sister's child, but since Shoes and I have been together practically since prehistoric times now, I think I've earned the right to be her cool aunt. Shoes' younger sister K is 15, and so therefore also falls into the "kids who should look up to and adore me" category. There's also a minor issue with K though; she's at an age where she pretty much hates the guts of all adults in any kind of authority, so that means anybody older than 21. Unless the 21 - or even 25 - year old in question is a guy. Then suddenly she finds it in her heart to bend the rules a bit. However, that is another story for another day.

On Friday I did what all the kids suspect that cool aunts do, but which cool aunts remain frustratingly mysterious about so as not to corrupt young minds - drink cocktails and tequila in a trendy city bar a la Sex and the City. I met Miss M, Midnite Gem and the lovely Kab for a chatter and a few tipples at Alibi. I really meant to have just one drink, but Gem's boyfriend C and his work mates turned up, and everytime I tried to leave another drink just appeared out of thin air in front of me, and well, it would have been rude to decline such a gesture, you know how it is. I was having a Harry Potter moment; the one where they are all sitting at the table in the Great Hall and delicious food materialises in front of them. With such magic afoot, to leave would have been to smite Dumbledore's legacy.

I think I managed to gather up my strength and say goodbye at around 10pm. It was the perfect time - one more Strawberry Cloud and I would have gotten on that dance floor, and once I start to trip the light fantastic, I'm going nowhere. I very nearly stopped by my work local for one more with the gang, but then realised this was a bad idea because a) I was not sober and that is the place I had my bag stolen, and b) I was ravenous, and that meant I was going to end up eating greasy chips and peanuts. Since I have sworn off junk food for a month in an attempt at a flat stomach for Spain, this would only serve to demotivate me. Don't get me wrong, I love to be demotivated. Any excuse to break the diet. It's your birthday and you want me to try your cake? But of course. These crisps are all the way from Scotland? Well I've never been there - they could be the best crisps in the world and I might never know. I'll have some, thanks.

In fact, I ended up breaking it in style with a massive KFC-fest on Sunday after the boat party, but I had a diet pepsi, so that's ok then.

The boat party on Saturday was fabulous, as always. Neutrino played a fantastic set - I'm really proud of him. It's quite something, seeing one of your best mates really making it in the cut throat industry of djing. He has a long way to go yet; the money is in producing tracks, not playing gigs (unless you are super famous), but he's starting to get paid small amounts for appearances and he's been busy in the studio cutting original tracks for his live sets. Most of the usual suspects came for the party, plus Oldest Friend and Queen of Melodrama, who put in their first appearances at what is sure to become a regular event for them. We didn't quite have sunshine, but for the first time we didn't have any rain either - bless you London. At least you're trying.

5 comments:

MidniteGem said...

LOL - at least it wasnt directly your bf's boss making drinks appear infront of you :P LOL
was a good night...but seriously DO NOT give me tequlia! And for future reference or any energy drinks and alcohol!!! esp jeagerbombs!

The Divine Miss M said...

Ah I'm so feeding gem more tequila - that was FUUUUN :P

Or just egg or on again next time!

Duuuuuuude Saturday is going to ROCK! :)

Lopz said...

@ the tequila girls: could have been worse - we could have ended up on that facebook group Everybody Has A Tequila story. It was slightly too tame for that though. Next time we'll make more of an effort!

The Divine Miss M said...

Nooooooooo

Cause ... I already have a tequila story :(

MidniteGem said...

I have plenty of tequila stories...too many i think.
But now C has decided he like fun dancing Midnite Gem on tequila so is trying to feed it to me every night out now !!! ARG !!!