Tuesday 8 July 2008

In Case I Haven't Dealt With It Quite Enough Yet

I've just found out my UK visa is going to cost me double what I thought it was. I was prepared for £500 - it costs £950. I'm unable to express in words what this means, both financially and psychologically. I have 6 days to come up with an extra £450, having already borrowed most of the rest of the money from Eyes and Scarf, as I didn't get paid by my promotions company this month (a fuck up on their part). I'm meeting Shoes on my lunch break, and we're going to try and draw most of the balance off our SA credit card. According to Absa, we can draw a maximum of R5000 while 'overseas'. I love that, 'overseas', but in the meantime I actually live here. If we're successful, it would leave me only about £120 short.

It is stupefying how every time I seem to have everything sorted, something else crops up that threatens to topple the precariously built house. Shoes and I have never been this broke. In all the tough months we've had in London, we have never resorted to eating crap. This month, we are. I count each and every penny as if it is gold dust.

Things will get better though, as Shoes worked a lot of overtime last weekend, and I get paid for three days promotional work at month end. This money should nearly cover the excess on the visa. It's just right now that's the problem - I've borrowed all I can from my friends, and as tempted as I am to turn to my parents, it just doesn't make any sense with the R15 to £1 exchange rate.

I had another more light-hearted post planned for today, but I think I'll save it for tomorrow. I don't feel very light-hearted right now.

5 comments:

Sweets said...

wow... that IS hectic... i think you should invest in a rabbit's foot and hang some garlic around your neck...

so sorry for you!!

Miss Caught Up said...

I'm sorry :( That really sucks. I had that happen to me. Since my naturalization cert was stolen I had to file for a new one, but I didn't know the price went up! So I had to pay an extra $110! I filed that a year ago and I still haven't received my cert yet... I can't travel out of this country until I have that so I can obtain my passport. What a hassle...

MidniteGem said...

So sorry to hear this !! i seriously hope it all works out !! i've def been in the poor as a churchmouse while supporting my parents boat, so much sympathy from me...
on a happy note on my side i'm going to be debt free from this month - its been about 4 years of debt !!

Lopz said...

Thanks all for the commiserations. Perhaps this is the final piece of shit to hit the fan - I'm not counting on it, but I am hoping. ;-P

AngelConradie said...

sheesh... didn't anyone tell you what it costs!?!?