Saturday 22 March 2008

Happy Birthday To Me

Today is my birthday, and I'm feeling a little melancholy. It's almost 12 o clock, and I've been awake since 9am. In that time I have:

1) Comforted Shoes who woke up with a very sore and dodgy stomach - perhaps too much smoked salmon yesterday

2) Read my book a bit

3) Replied to my happy birthday messages on facebook

4) Made my own breakfast - Shoes was still languishing in bed with said sore stomach

All very ordinary things, and none of them warrant being miserable. Ok, not miserable, but not happy. And it's not even that I am now 28, and I am lamenting the passing of my 27th year. On the contrary - I will always remember my 27th year as an extremely shite one that brought a lot of heartache and stress. So for me, turning 28 is a positive.

It's just that I don't feel special! *pouts childishly* When you get to this age, no-one makes a big deal about your birthday anymore, and rightly so. Most of the time, you try to pretend that birthdays don't happen, so you don't have to admit to being yet another year past it. It all makes sense, and it's not like I want people to fuss about it as if I was turning 21. But it seems so.... grey, and luke-warm. Whereas birthdays used to be red and molten-lava hot.

I suppose the fact that I haven't gotten any presents on my big day is another reason I am a bit put out. Of course, I already have my Def Leppard ticket, which is my best present so far, and I doubt anything else will top it. And G-Days is buying me the fluffy boots covers I really want, but they're being custom made, and so will only arrive next week. Scarf is at gym, and I will get a present from her and Eyes later today.
So I shouldn't be complaining. But I am, a little bit. Ungrateful brat, aren't I? I suppose I am nostalgic for the days when birthdays felt special. Today doesn't feel like my birthday at all.

Oh well, I'm off to buy socks. Yes, socks. I only have two pairs. Buying socks on my birthday. I have reached a new level of cool; come to me for I am the Master Birthday Planner. With me you'll never be sockless on your big day.



Oh well, we're going out on a bender tonight, so hopefully that will put it all in perspective, and my hangover tomorrow will tell me just how special this day ended up being. Fingers crossed.

6 comments:

The Blonde Blogshell said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORGEOUS GAL!!!! YAY, YAY, YAY!!! I HOPE YOU GOT SPOILT ROTTEN!!!! MWAH!

phillygirl said...

Happy Birthday, hon :) Hope your weekend was fabulous ... everyone deserves a long birthday weekend!

The Divine Miss M said...

Happy birthday :)

Sorry I missed it!

KaB said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Bangers & maaaaaash...happy birthday to you! Hip, hip hooray...nog 'n pip...hooray!

I hope you had a fab day! Sis on your man to stay in bed...he should've gotten up! Haiwenna...

Elise said...

Happy Be-lated Birthday Babe xx

Lopz said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! :-)