Friday 28 March 2008

Mercy

I'm reading a book called Mercy by Jodi Picoult, and it deals with 2 main topics simultaneously - mercy killings and infidelity. As with all Picoult novels, the book is very character-focussed, and has a few main characters whose actions and decisions over a period of time heavily influence each other's lives. I adore Jodi Picoult - she puts into words what many of us are afraid to say, or even afraid to feel. She always deals with difficult and controversial topics that force you to examine where you stand on an issue.

And that's really what this post is about today - reading Mercy has made me contemplate in depth how I feel about infidelity. As far as mercy killings go, that is a non-issue for me. I believe in a person's right to die, and I believe that if someone assists them out of love and compassion, that person is guilty of nothing except displaying the kind of courage most of us probably don't have. In the case of mercy killings, I am a prosecutor's nightmare. But infidelity is another thing altogether. Of course it's wrong, I'm not questioning that. What I have been questioning since starting this book is whether or not I'd be able to live with it if it reared it's ugly head in my life. I think most of us, at one time or another, have wondered what we would do if we found out our significant other was cheating on us.

For me, I've always been on the fence about it. It goes without saying that I would be broken, devastated, hurt beyond comprehension, if I found Shoes had been sleeping with someone else. When your partner chooses someone else over you, no matter how long for, trust is irreparrably damaged, self esteem shattered and the easy dynamic between a long-term couple lost forever. But I have always asked myself the question: would it be worse to stay with him and try to rebuild things, knowing that I'd still love him despite what he'd done and that it might be enough to get us through it? Or would it be worse to watch him walk out of my life forever?

I suppose it's hard to imagine if you've never been in that situation. I've been cheated on before, but he was a drug addict and I hated him more than I ever loved him, so it wasn't the same thing. Shoes is the love of my life, and I've never had even the tiniest reason to doubt him, ever. So it's impossible to gauge how my feelings would change if he did the unthinkable, because I can't imagine him doing it at all.

The thing is, I've always leaned towards the idea of second chances. I don't know why I think I might be able to salvage a relationship from the ashes if this happened to me, but I've entertained the idea that this would be the lesser of 2 evils. I just can't imagine my life without Shoes, no matter which way I look at it.

Then I started reading this book. It is the man who has the affair, with a strange woman who comes to town and who ends up as his wife's shop assistant. And I can tell you, I have never hated a character in a book more than I hate this one. Everytime the author focusses on him, I can't help a sneer stealing across my face. I am rooting for all sorts of terrible things to happen to him - for him to die in a car accident, for his wife to leave him once and for all (she is undecided at this point in the story, although she knows everything), for him to get an incurable disease and die a slow, painful death. The strength of my feelings towards this character have taken me completely by surprise.

Of course, in the story his wife is just lovely, and doesn't appear to have told so much as a half-lie in her whole life. And he embarks on the affair with total disregard for her, and treats her badly during his indiscretion as a result of his guilt. So they do play very much the sterotypical roles, and in real life, I'm sure that many times it is not that black and white.

Still though. If I feel hatred and utter contempt towards a fictional character in a book, how much more would I feel that towards a real life person - my person? And would it make a difference at all that I love him? Interesting, though-provoking. I'm now leaning towards total non-acceptance, if it happened to me.

What would you do?

10 comments:

phillygirl said...

yup, I agree, that is a tricky topic. For me it's purely theoretical at this point (although I suspect I have been cheated on once before and have kissed another during my high school dating days too!).

I think a random one-night stand would somehow be easier to deal with emotionally (logically?). Because I think we all know that no matter how much we love one person, it's fairly easy to lust after others. I mean come on, if Jake Gyllenhaal gave us the thumbs up, how could you resist?

But if I found out that someone had been sneaking for months on end behind my back. Well that would destroy all I hold sacred.

Neither is an ideal situation however, but I too know how fickle emotions can be and have struggled thru demons of my own. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If I lost, I'd really have to hold hard onto the belief that it was never meant to be! But how one does that many years into marriage, I have no clue!

AngelConradie said...

thus far, in my life, i have been cheated on several times- and i have always ended things immediately... i find infidelity immensely hard to forgive and i cannot forget it!

Sweets said...

i divorced my ex because he cheated... and then married him again... because i loved him so much...you can try to rebuild things but trust is never the same~ and when he does it again, and mine did... your heart is devastated... a million times worse than the first time...

i would never ever give another guy a second chance... if they loved you it would never happen the first time

i should read some of her books, i hear she's brilliant!

Lopz said...

@philly - "But how one does that many years into marriage, I have no clue!" - my point exactly. How much harder - or easier - would it be to have to start all over again, instead of giving the person you know you love a second chance? Maybe it really is just a once off. Or, like for Sweets, it develops into a pattern and you're just setting yourself up for more heartbreak.

@angel - that's my gut instinct too, and honestly, I'm not sure I'd be able to react any other way in reality. But it just seems like it would be impossible for me to let Shoes go, no matter what.

@sweets - you kind of define this for me. You did what I want to believe I could do, and look where it got you. Do you think it's possible that sometimes a cheater really only cheats once?

Lopz said...

@ sweets again - you really should read her books, they are absolutely amazing. Start with The 10th Circle - my favourite so far. Or My Sister's Keeper - a close second.

Miss Caught Up said...

That is a difficult one. If they cheat once will they cheat again? Would it be worth wondering and the feeling of mistrust? It sounds like too much energy for me. If it were me I would probably still love him regardless, but I don't think I could forgive him.

But then again there are those people who will continually forgive... like my mom. My dad cheated on her a few times, yet they can't be without each other. It is baffling.

Jam said...

Very tricky... I gave an ex that cheated on me a second chance and in retrospect should never have as I was never able to trust him again.

But on the other hand - is the cheater always to blame? In the book (which sounds like a good read) you mention that the wife is portrayed as flawless - when in reality, often people cheat because they're trying bolster up some self esteem, which may have been knocked out of them by their partners. Not an excuse... but a point that makes it slightly more understandble and perhaps a validation for a second chance?

Hopefully we won't ever have to make that choice!

Lopz said...

@pdx - that IS baffling. I certainly understand that kind of love, but if you get betrayed more than once? How does she still trust him... or doesn't she?

@msmozi - exactly, real life is always more complicated. In the book, the wife's biggest crime is that she's not adventurous enough, not ALIVE enough... that she doesn't inspire all-consuming passion in him. I'm sure there is usually fault on both sides in this kind of situation though, even though it's not an excuse to cheat. The more I think about it, the more confused I get as to what I would do.

Miss Caught Up said...

lopz - She doesn't trust him. I think she just gave up on him and hope that he'd stop. :( Although, she and I did teach him a pretty harsh lesson two years back, so hopefully he's wised up!

Sweets said...

i want to believe that someone that "made a mistake" would never do it again, but i really should be honest and say no, they will do it again... affairs and cheating doesn't just HAPPEN... doesn't matter what who says, it's calculated and planned, some people just can't say no, and if it happened once it sure as shit will happen again…

i’m ever the optimist, so this is a sad fact that I had to accept in life…

there is no reason on this earth why you should ever want to cheat on someone you love, end of story.

~~~~

btw: strange fact, sex between me and the ex was GREAT, and i'm not just saying that... we connected on every level, so it was devastating on so many levels for me. but the fact is that life at home becomes ordinary... can't change that, i found it comforting (made me feel secure) but he needed the adrenalin rush every single day... so basically i think there are some people who are more suited to be in a fulltime long-term relationships and others... they shouldn't even try to(like my ex)...