Monday 10 March 2008

Armageddon It


It's like Armageddon pulled into London today and said: You know what, you bloody poms (and all you unfortunate foreigners who are stupid enough to live in pom country); I am Armageddon and YOU are the chosen few who shall first experience the might of my destruction. Mwahahahaha! Beware, you who sleep in your cosy little beds, as I will call up the wind and rattle your windowpanes until you can sleep no more. Watch your step as you descend the stairs onto the rain-slicked sidewalk, as I will pelt you with monstrous rainboulders that will blind your fragile white eyeballs and render your flailing feet unstable. Unfurl your umbrella at your peril, as I will command gusts that will wrench your brolly inside out and tear the material from it's spokes, all the better to poke out your fragile white eyeballs with (I really like hammering your eyeballs, they're so defenseless). Put on your make-up if you must, but know that within seconds I will have the elements claw it from your eyes and smear it across your cheeks.

It really was the pits outside this morning. The bin in front of our station was filled to overflowing with umbrellas in various states of disrepair, and on the train (delayed, obviously) men and women were attempting to undo the vicious damage inflicted by the weather so as not to look like they'd been pulled through a bush backwards. Of course, as I look out the window right now, the sun is streaming innocently across the tops of nearby buildings and the end-of-the-world sky has given way to a tepid grey blanket.

One thing I certainly will not miss when we move is the 15 minute walk to and from our closest station everyday. We live in a modern complex by the Thames, but as it is a private development, there is no public transport. Come rain, shine, snow or hurricane winds, the four of us make our way on foot to catch our train each day, and suffer the consequences of whatever England's weather chooses to throw at us, which over time is pretty much a bit of every imaginable thing.

Today Shoes, Eyes and I are all going to look at a potential place to live after work. Ironically, it is another private development on the Thames, but this time in South West London instead of South East - this is kind of like moving from Woodstock to Kirstenhof. Hopefully this one will be what we're looking for, as we're really keen to move in somewhere by mid-April if possible.

9 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

SOUTH WEST SOUTH WEST SOUTH WEST SOUTH WEST! All the way baby! ;)

Horrid horrid horrid weather man, seriously. Absolutely pants. It's started again now.

Did all of London sin over the weekend you think? Meh.

Hey, I was all looking forward to a blog from our weekend entertainment :( *humph* I'm not important enough!

The Blonde Blogshell said...

OH. MY. GOD! This is why I couldn't live in London! Yes, I'm a wimp, but the weather affects my moods!

Good luck with your search!!

Lopz said...

@Miss M - either that or God is getting his own back on the people who brought chavs into existence. I would totally understand that.

As for our weekend adventures, don't you worry, a post detailing those shall shortly be forthcoming! I started it and was going to combine it with today's Armageddon post, then decided it was cool enough to have its very own post. Watch out for it tomorrow.

@Blondie - you knows it! I have the same problem, and it's not really something you ever get used to. :-(

Miss Caught Up said...

OH MY! It almost sounds like where I live!

Elise said...

We're supposed to prepare for stormy weather tonight. I'm so excited! Okay the walk from my car to work was awful. My hair blew into my mouth, my shoes got wet but...

Its a Storm! How romantic!

xx

Lopz said...

@Fashionista - ooh, maybe we'll be neighours! ;-)

@Elise - just got back from 2 viewings, and I can't say I agree with you about the weather.. it was so miserable to be out in this shit. Feck London, harrumph!

Sweets said...

sigh... i live in sunny south africa... you miss home any? hehe

KaB said...

I've been watching the news & regular updates on Sky news...shit I live for that channel! The English are so hell bent on making an issue out of the smallest, trivial things...I get pissed off when I miss an update tee hee :)

The storms look hectic yo but come on, Cape Town has weathered some monsters over the years! You'll do tip top!

By the by, do you & Miss M live together by some remote chance?!? And would you be looking for a fellow Capetonian possibly?!? Or don't you do that housemate thing like the rest of the peeps in London...I don't...I'm freaking out at having to live with randoms...eek!

And I agree with Elise...storms are romantic...girly movies...books...chocolate...curling up under the covers...haiwenna but it's exciting!

Lopz said...

@Sweets - rub it in girl, why don't you!

@KaB - it's not the storms I take issue with, it's the WALKING and PUBLIC TRANSPORT whilst in the middle of them! I miss my car *sob*

Miss M and I don't live together, no - check out today's post in a minute for more on that story. I live with my boyfriend and another saffa couple, 2 of our best mates from CT. When you coming over hun? I totally know what you mean about living with randoms - I've been lucky enough not to have that experience, but it gives me chills. I can see if anyone I know has a spare room going, although that would still be quite random for you....