Thursday 11 October 2007

Hole In My Soul

Apparently I have another interview today! I picked up a voice message at 11pm last night from the PA at Fabric, saying they want me to come in for an interview today. I am duly waiting for their offices to open so I can call and make arrangements.

The thing with this one is, I almost know before I go in there that I don't want the job. I know that's a bit presumptuous, but it's based on three factors.

One: their office hours are 10am to 7pm. In Cape Town, I would probably consider a job with those hours, as it would take me 20 minutes to get home. In London, it takes an hour an a half, and I can't abide by the thought of arriving home at 8:30pm every evening. I would never go to gym and so become a big blob, I'd have to eat really late and everyone else would be doing sundowners in the park in summer while I was stuck inside. It's one thing to have office hours of 9:30am - 6pm - the norm in most media jobs - and maybe work late the odd evening; it's another thing to officially finish at 7pm and then still have to work late sometimes.

Two: I don't think they're going to offer enough salary wise. Of course, I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised, but from the conversation I had with the PA when I first applied, it looks like they're aiming to pay a good £2000 per year less than what I want, and if that's the case there's nothing that could make me take the job. It's not set in stone yet, as she assured me, but it doesn't look great.

Three: the role itself seems very very basic. The reason I applied in the first place was kind of on a whim, thining that maybe there would be an opportunity to get into the music side of things, as they run their own record label. That is something I would definitely be interested in, but there isn't any evidence based on the job spec that this is a possibility.

So why am I still going? Two reasons. One: the small possibility that this could be a foot in the door into the music industry. Two: self esteem. It would feel really good right now to go for an interview, have them decide that I am exactly what they want, and then decline because they are not exactly what I want. Not that I am using them just to give myself a big head.... all interviews are good practice, so I'd be getting that out of it too. And despite what I've written, maybe they'll surprise me and I'll be a whole lot more enthusuiastic once I've heard what they have to say.

Most of all though, I have absolutely nothing to lose, so therefore it can only be a good thing.

3 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Send me your CV dammit! You never know whats going on around here!

Unknown said...

This is a good thing. AND you have nothing to lose. PLus you get the benefit of interview practice.
Don't settle for something you don't wanna do...

Lopz said...

I won't, I will definitely only take something I know I can be happy in. Lucky for me this work out so much better than expected!

Now we'll see where it goes from here....