Wednesday 10 October 2007

The Sun Always Shines On TV

My friend G-Days has just bought himself an £850 tv set. I don't usually devote entire posts to my friends' activities, but since I don't have anything particularly interesting to report by way of events, thoughts or issues, and his buying this tv is clearly an alarming event and points towards some serious lack of thought issues, it seems a worthy replacement.

Who in their right mind buys an £850 tv set? The four of us discussed this over supper last night and came up with a list of all the (much more worthwhile) things one can do with £850:

1. Buy two return tickets to Cape Town off season (give or take £50)
2. Buy one return ticket to Cape Town and use the rest of the money to have a moerse jol
3. Go on a weekend break to Prague - twice (and that's for a couple)
4. Go on a Victoria Beckham style shopping spree (ok, it would be a VB style spree to us, since us spending £850 on a day's shopping is like her spending £8500)
5. Buy three really good tvs - one for the lounge and each bedroom

The guys were bandying about phrases like 'sony bravia' and 'superfast refresh rate', none of which mean anything to me but apparently explain why G-Days thought it necessary to part with that much cash for a telly. It's HD compatible, but that comes with its own set of problems, such as the need to buy a £200 Sky TV box that supports HD, which he is now planning to do. I certainly hope for his sake that it makes the movie characters come to life in his lounge, otherwise I can't help but feel he has pissed his money down the proverbial drain. He's not even staying in the UK permanently!

I just had a phone call from someone at FabricLive, the UK's most well known electro club. I applied for the role of Club Secretary a while ago, but hadn't heard back from them so I'd forgotten all about it. The PA to the Director had just three questions for me: Have I been to Fabric before (yes, once last NYE), What did I think of it (Fantastic, awesome atmosphere and really good music - now this was a lie, because it sucked, but I figure only because we chose the worst night of the year to go. I therefore think that had it been any other night I would have enjoyed myself, and elected to project my feelings about any future nights at Fabric rather than the night I actually went) and Did I know about their record label (Yes, having looked it up on the website when I first applied for the role). Incidentally, the record label thing was why I applied in the first place. Getting into music is even harder than getting into tv or film, at least with my luck, so I didn't think I actually had a shot. The PA told me that's all she needed to know, and she'd be in touch.

Why can't all interviews be that easy! ;-)

2 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

I always lie about loving the things I work on. In fact I have never even watched the show I'm working at the moment but I always thing it is "brilliant" "entertaining" "hysterical" and "wonderful tv" and I am so "honoured to be given an opportunity to work on it"

My arse.

Lopz said...

That's what I used to say about working for clients like BMW, Nivea, Smart Car and Dr Scholl... it sounded so cool but really, with the proximity I had to the people who really mattered, I might as well have been in Iceland while they sunned themselves on Africa's beaches.

My arse indeed ;-)