Friday 19 October 2007

Shosholoza!

Again, I am having trouble working today. This is because my inbox is being bombarded with rugby related e-mails, everything from the Brian Habana song (creativity at its worst, people) to the True Springbok Supporter chasing the cheetah that's chasing the springbok, until he catches him and scoops the springbok up and away from the cheetah's clutches (quite enjoyed that one). Everybody who has any connection with South Africa is in a fever today. Thabo Mbeki appealed to the nation last night to wear the green and gold with pride today in support of our boys, and I am doing my part by sitting at my desk decked out in a springbok beenie and scarf. Of course, this kind of patriotism will always attract derision (read bad sports) and so I have heard every chirp in the book this morning as people cannot stop themselves from making a detour past my desk and having a go.

None of them have had anything particularly witty to say, though. They just bluster on about whipping some South African arse (in plummy tones that make it sound like they're talking about pruning roses) and threaten to strangle me with my scarf. I sit stoically through it all, blazing with pride brought on by total belief in our abilities and the irresistable chance to piss off the English.

We're having about a million people over tomorrow for drinks and a braai before the big game, and afterwards - after our sure victory - we will go and celebrate to the vinyls of Paul van Dyk at Koko in Camden. I couldn't ask for a better weekend line up.

And now I must rush, as I have been charged with the collection of supplies from the saffa shop in Charing Cross.... savannas, castles, boerie, biltong and a few rugby memorabilia.

GO BOKKE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shosholoza!

2 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Woohoo!!! Rugby fever here is amazing isn't it? I can't wait :) I feel so much more patriotic living here than in SA, especially as we can tease the shit out of the English when they lose!! hahah

Ye that stupid Habana thing really is creativity at it's worst. I sat through it hoping that it would get better but nope. Stupid.

Give the ball to Brian. What a wonderfuly game plan ;)

Lopz said...

And they made poor Percy seem like such an oaf! I mean, sure, he has carefully highlighted hair and maybe a botox injection or two, but he's ours and he's usually good and we love him!